Are you looking for ways to prevent arthritis? Regular physical activity is essential for maintaining physical and mental health, and can play a vital role in treating arthritis. Exercise can help keep the muscles surrounding affected joints strong, reduce bone loss, and control joint swelling and pain. It can also replenish joint cartilage lubrication and reduce stiffness and pain. Plus, it can increase energy and endurance by reducing fatigue and improving sleep.If you haven't been inspired to start an exercise routine, you may not have found the activity that works best for you.
We turned to experts for information on low-impact, joints-friendly and, dare we say it, fun ways to get in shape. Whether you're a newbie to exercise or if you just want to spice up your exercise menu, you're sure to find an activity that gets you excited about moving.Some examples of activities that don't harm joints include walking, biking, and swimming. Physical activity can also delay the onset of an arthritis-related disability and help people with arthritis manage other chronic conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. If you have mild or early arthritis and want to continue exercising at this level, talk first with your rheumatologist or a physical therapist who has experience with arthritis and who knows the specific sport.For those who are looking for something more specific, here are some exercises that can help prevent arthritis:
- Yoga: Yoga is a great way to improve flexibility and strength while reducing stress.
It can also help improve posture and balance.
- Tai Chi: Tai Chi is a low-impact exercise that helps improve balance and coordination. It's also great for relaxation.
- Pilates: Pilates is a form of exercise that focuses on strengthening the core muscles. It can help improve posture and balance while reducing stress.
- Strength Training: Strength training helps build muscle strength and endurance. It can also help reduce joint pain.
- Aerobic Exercise: Aerobic exercise helps improve cardiovascular health while burning calories.
It can also help reduce joint pain.